Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Fine Print: Are You Settling For Less Than You Deserve?

It occurred to me some years ago that I was not getting what I wanted out of relationships. It took me awhile to figure out why that was. 

Light bulb moment: It's because I wasn't demanding more from them. I was settling for less because I didn't feel that I deserved more. 


I chose people to be in my life who didn't end up treating me very well. And I really can't put the blame on them.

You see, I was also the culprit in my own fate.

There are those of you out there, right this minute, who are living now much like I was living then. 

As you are reading this, you know in your heart that you are accepting far less than you deserve

And so my caveat to you today is this: You deserve to be loved and cherished. 


I stayed in unhealthy situations. I cried myself to sleep many nights. I wondered why I couldn't be in a relationship that was healthy.

I realize now that it was up to me and me alone to change what I was accepting from others.


I expected scraps. And that is what I got.

I let a lot of years pass like that. Too many. I let precious time slip through my fingers. 

But you can learn from my experience. 

If you are in a situation where you are being treated like a door mat, or worse, then my advice to you is this: You still have time to make it right. That time is now.

You need to look deep within yourself and resolve to change your current situation sooner rather than later. 

You don't deserve to be taken advantage of. You don't deserve to live in fear. 


Don't let the years pass while you ponder how or when will be the best time to get up and move on. 

Don't tell yourself: "I'll make these changes when the time is right." 

The time will never be right. Because it is too easy to be passive about change. It is easier to stay in a stagnant or even an abusive relationship because it is what you are accustomed to. 


You deserve to be happy. Please don't settle for less because the thought of being alone is too frightening.


***



No comments:

Post a Comment