Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Eye Exam & New Book In The Mail


Monday I had an eye exam. I knew I needed new glasses. But I put it off because my glasses are always expensive. But the nose piece was just about broken off. So I had to do it.

I have to wear bifocals. But I just hate those lines across the middle of the lens. So I always get progressive glasses.  If you're not familiar with them, here is some information for mature wearers of glasses.

So my glasses end up costing around $500. Which is what I paid to order them this time too. A good chunk of change, huh? But worth it to me because if I'm awake, I'm wearing them.


(Another clematis bloom.)

I was told that I will probably need cataract surgery within the next year or so. He said I might even notice a difference in my sight in my right eye earlier than that.

He also said that it is possible that once I have surgery, I have around a 90% chance of not having to wear glasses all the time anymore. Just reading glasses.

Have any of you had that happen?

That would be a pleasant surprise, because I've worn glasses since childhood. I never opted for contacts, because I cringed at the idea of putting anything in my eyes.


Aside from the petunia plant above, I have another petunia plant that has about a dozen black blooms. I just didn't capture a decent photo of it. 


I also still have tomatoes to eat. Though as you can see the leaves look pretty bad!

 

And I still have loads of Johnny-Jump-Ups. Plus I still have purple petunias blooming.


And roses, though they look a little bedraggled...


Now to the book I received yesterday...


Here is the summary blurb from Amazon.com...

Squeezed into a coat closet with his classmates and teacher, first grader Zach Taylor can hear gunshots ringing through the halls of his school. 


A gunman has entered the building, taking nineteen lives and irrevocably changing the very fabric of this close-knit community. 

While Zach's mother pursues a quest for justice against the shooter's parents, holding them responsible for their son's actions, Zach retreats into his super-secret hideout and loses himself in a world of books and art. 

Armed with his newfound understanding, and with the optimism and stubbornness only a child could have, Zach sets out on a captivating journey towards healing and forgiveness, determined to help the adults in his life rediscover the universal truths of love and compassion needed to pull them through their darkest hours. 

***
Here's how I've been getting books lately.

I look for new books on Amazon.com, or I go to Goodreads.com and find them. 

Then when I have the author's name, I look for a link to their website, or I Google their name. Many times I find their email address listed, and I then email them telling them of my interest in their book.

I've had quite a few email back and give me the link to their publisher or publicist. Who I then email with my interest, and they email back and ask for my address in order to send me the book.

Mary Kubica's publisher, after I sent them the link to my review, said they'd put me on a list for all women's fiction and suspense books, which is what I told them I prefer to read. They told me if there's anything specific that I want to read to let them know.

So this has been a great way to get books for my daughter and I to read. Authors and publishers really want feedback and reviews of their books on blogs as well as social media.

Speaking of my daughter, she will be bringing me a Thanksgiving meal sometime that afternoon. So I don't have to cook or do anything this year. I'm planning on digging out my Christmas decor over the weekend.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, however you choose to spend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment