Monday, October 16, 2017

Growing Japanese Maples In Containers


Years ago I had a gardening magazine that had an article about growing trees in containers in it. The idea intrigued me. But somewhere along the way, I lost or threw out the magazine.

Now that I don't have trees on my patio, the idea of trees in containers is even more appealing.

One tree I've always longed to have is a Japanese Maple. Last week when I was at the nursery buying my bowl of Johnny Jump Ups, I walked around and looked at them. The prices for Japanese Maples start around $49.99. 


Of course I'd have to choose the right size container. So I'd have to discuss this with the knowledgeable folks at Southwood Nursery. 

I love trees. I love taking photos of trees.   
 
I've actually seen a few trees planted in the front yards of some of the residents here. But I'd rather have one on the patio to start with.

Here's a look at Japanese Maples I found online planted in containers.


So the next question is, how do you grow Japanese Maples in containers? And here's what I found:

Japanese Maples Need:
  • Dappled or afternoon shade, especially when young
  • Protection from strong wind
  • Well-drained, consistently moist soil, neither excessively wet nor dry
  • Protection from late spring frosts, especially when young
  • Choose a dwarf cultivar that matures at less than 10 feet. Larger plants will also work if you prune them annually.
  • Select a container that’s no more than twice the volume of roots. Make sure there’s a drainage hole -- Japanese maples will not survive in soggy soil.
  • Use quality potting soil -- but not one that contains slow-release fertilizer that might burn roots.
  • Fertilize sparingly. Apply a water-based fertilizer, diluted to half-strength, when growth begins in spring.
  • Prune in midsummer to shape the plant or keep it at a desired size. Individual branches can be coaxed to hang downward in a more elegant habit by hanging light weights on the branches for one growing season.
  • Repot once roots reach the sides and bottom of the pot -- generally every couple of years. Prune the roots by cutting away large, woody roots to encourage small fibrous ones to form.

This idea really interests me. The birds would have another place to perch. I could enjoy the changing of the leaves.

When I want to do something but confront a problem doing it, I always like to challenge myself to find a way. 

And since I rent an apartment and no longer have trees growing on my patio, I may just have to try growing trees in containers.

In case you're interested in more information, I found this site for Japanese Maple lovers.

Do you have a tree growing in a container? Would you like to try  growing a tree in a container. 

Just because you might not have a yard or own your home does not mean that you can't have a tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment