Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Abi Cornered A Possum


In the wee hours of Monday morning Abi wanted out. She has been wanting out in the middle of the night, but not wanting to go out during the day, for some time now.

So I got up and let them out. It was dark outside of course, so it was hard to see where the dogs were. I always stand at the door waiting for them. 

Either I heard a sound or something alerted me in my half-asleep state, and I went out to the patio.

I found her and a large possum (about the size of the dogs, 10-12 pounds) behind the big pots against the fence where Jade the tree is. 

Abi was about a foot from the possum, which was hissing at her.


Charlie had apparently not yet figured out what was going on and was elsewhere on the patio. 

I didn't have my glasses on, but managed to reach down behind the back of the pots and grab her up. 

Then I hurried to where Charlie was sniffing around and grabbed him too and rushed them both inside. 

I don't recall seeing a possum up close before, so I was surprised at how big it was. I've seen it at night walking along the fence. Lordy, they are not pretty creatures!

I didn't let them out the rest of the night, though she was not happy. 

Does anyone know anything about possums? Where on earth are they during the day? Do they climb fences? 


Infection Update:

Yesterday my doctor called in a different prescription, so I went out to pick it up. 

If I'd had any sense I'd have just driven through the drive-thru at Walgreens. But I got it into my head that less than a mile away was a Walmart, and I could pick up a few things like soup and yogurt and I also needed a thermometer, as I couldn't find one at home.

I haven't been in a big Walmart in a few years. I just don't go there. I call it Hellmart. So I don't know why I got a wild hair to do that.

I got a basket and put all kinds of things in there and got all the way to the very back and started feeling sick, light-headed, and mildly confused. You don't want to be confused inside a Walmart Super Center, I tell you. 

I stood there for a minute and then just abandoned everything and left. I went into Walgreens and got a thermometer and my prescription. 

Heavens, this thing is taking a lot out of me. I rarely get sick.

Awful what happened in Texas, isn't it? The assailant was apparently from New Braunfels. I used to live there. Lovely little community.


No comments:

Post a Comment