Saturday, September 23, 2017

I Woke Up With A Bang


I woke up with a real bang the other day. As in my bed broke and fell. My beloved $35 bed that I painted white years ago gave out. 

I got up and started my coffee and tried to figure out what to do.

I order things online a lot. I mulled that option. But the problem with that is that I'm alone doing all the heavy lifting. And lifting is very hard on my ankle.

Years ago I would have just tackled the project by myself. I'd have found a used bed and gone to get it and put it together myself. But after the whole ankle thing, I have learned that I have to give these things more thought.

So I went to Ashley Furniture where I bought my couch. I knew I probably wouldn't have much of a selection, as full-size beds are practically dinosaurs now. But I knew I could get it delivered and set up. And I wouldn't have to call my daughter for help.

The guy showed me a brown contemporary bed with horizontal slats in the headboard, and then a sort of white distressed bed that had a solid headboard. 

The more distressed one was about $100 more. But I knew I'd never be happy with the contemporary bed. Plus I'd end up dusting all those horizontal slats.

They were supposed to deliver it, but that option, after much discourse (angry words), didn't work out. So I ended up having to call my daughter anyway. And my son-in-law saved the day.



I have to say that I was relieved not to have strange delivery men in my home.

I have a question for you single women: Do you dislike having strange delivery men at your door, especially if it might be well after dark?

When I was a young woman, I didn't seem to have these fears. I was able-bodied and it just didn't enter my mind to be so cautious. Well, I was cautious, just not this cautious.

I don't know if you get more wise as you age, or you just become more cautious. Or maybe cautiousness comes with wisdom.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to take photos of the bed in my bedroom, but I took a photo off the Ashley website to show you.


Luckily I managed to pay off my laptop last month, because this went on the standby credit card. It was half the price of my laptop though, so that's a bit of good news. 

I paid a little less than $400 for this bed. (Or my credit card did.) And my SIL saved me the $60 delivery fee.

The support of this bed is better than any other bed I recall sleeping on.  

This one has multiple legs for support from the floor to the bed, unlike the pieces of wood I had spaced horizontally across my old bed rails. As soon as I laid down on it, I could tell there was a vast difference in support.

I had wondered why my just-over-a-year-old mattress wasn't feeling so great anymore. It didn't have good support. My son-in-law said that this is why it broke. Live and learn.

If you like the distressed look, you would probably love this bed. You can also get the chest of drawers, dresser/mirror and night stand, but I won't be getting any of that. At least not in the foreseeable future. I don't like to go overboard on a credit card. 

If you want to check the Willowton bed out, here is the link. It is only showing queen and king size, but the store had the double size. The link is showing the price for the queen-sized bed.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment