Sunday, December 18, 2016

Snow & A Book Review

 

To my surprise it started snowing yesterday afternoon. Not a thick snow like so many of you northward get. But snow nevertheless.

It is quite nippy, and I'm staying in. I'm so glad my chair is not in front of the window, as there is ice inside the windows.

I will be putting a second coat of yellow paint on the dining table. 


It seems that this is a lighter shade than the paint I used on the coffee bar and little pantry. It is the same paint I used on the back of the bookshelves. But I didn't notice it then.

When I got this paint, I had Lowes copy the color, and since they went merely by the little bit of paint color on the top of the can, perhaps they didn't get it quite as dark. 

Not sure if it bothers me enough to do anything about it or not. Don't want to go out in this cold certainly. As every arthritic joint in my body is on alert.

The Living Room Window...

Your comments gave me lots of ideas for my front window, and maybe the bedroom window as well. I like the idea of sheers, but will have to figure out the whole rod thing.

As I mentioned, the rod that is up there holding the red and white buffalo-checked curtains is not all the way in the wall, because I was not strong enough to get the hardware/screws all the way into the wall.



I just hate trying to get those rods up and in tight. Because I never seem to be able to get it quite right.

Maybe I'll enlist Israel to help me when he returns from Mexico.
 

Book Review...


I finished this book last night. It is 561 pages, so longer than the usual books I've read lately. 

Here is an Amazon.com snippet...

The Cuckoo's Calling is a 2013 crime fiction novel by J. K. Rowling, published under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith.

A brilliant mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel's suicide.



After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, the legendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. 


The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you've never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you've never seen them under an investigation like this.

My review: This was a well-written book. The characters were richly developed. The dialogue was seamless. The story drew me in immediately.

At first I thought: I'm not too interested in stories about super models. But the writer captivated me without my realizing it.

I see that this book was the first in a series, so I would like to read other books under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith (though written by J.K. Rowling) involving Strike and his assistant Robin Ellacott. 

Stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment