Monday, December 4, 2017

How Do You Distract A Fixated Dog?


I have a dilemma. 

Charlie somehow spotted a black speck in the corner of the kitchen ceiling by the patio door, literally a small spot, and has decided it's something alive.


I don't know how on earth he spotted it to start with. I never would have. But he's relentless. He sits and practically vibrates while whining and crying.

I try to redirect his attention, but it doesn't work.

So, though my ankle is hurting from doing so much the last few days, I went ahead and got the stepladder (wicked thing that it is) and took a small screwdriver and reached up to try and brush it away. 
 
Helped a little, but I guess it really needs some paint. And I'm NOT getting on the stepladder again to paint it. He will just have to sit and vibrate.

Now he will at least leave it alone for a time. But then he remembers it and goes back to scratching the wall and crying. As if that's going to help matters.

As for my ankle, if it is still going to hurt when I'm up doing things, I might as well buy some decaf coffee and at least have that small morning pleasure back.

I thought no caffeine was helping with the inflammation, but that proved to be a short-lived event.

Think I'll use my regular coffee maker though, because I feel like the Keurig makes coffee a bit too strong for me.)  

I'll get there with the Christmas stuff. Just having to limit myself.

 
Charlie has never been the kind of dog that plays with toys or chews bones. So I can't distract him with that.

Now, with only two teeth, he couldn't chew a bone if he wanted to.

Well, surely he'll forget about it soon. 

I saw a cat on the tiny front porch, and even led him over to the door to show him, excitedly saying "Charlie, cat, cat!" but he apparently couldn't see it behind the bushes just a few feet from the storm door.

So how on earth does he see a speck in the corner of the ceiling, I ask you?

I'm perplexed.


No comments:

Post a Comment