Friday, December 30, 2016

Shattering Glass Ceilings


Yesterday I decided to close my Verizon cell phone account. 

I never seemed to use the darned thing anyway. 

It Always Comes Back To Accumulating Stuff...

Back to that word...Stuff

Everyday Life...

I hate sitting in a waiting room watching dozens of people glued to their phones, letting their children run amok. 

I guess this is my way of rebelling. 

Against the lack of etiquette. 

Against people walking right into me because they won't look up from their phone. 

Against watching children run dangerously around parking lots while parents have their eyes on their phones.

Instagram? I Think Not...

I never got around to trying Instagram. Every time I'd think about it, I'd find myself sighing. I'd realize I didn't want to start up with any more social media. 

I'm trying to eliminate distractions, not add them.


I'd been on my home phone for about two hours trying to cancel my cell phone account. 

My plan was a prepaid plan. And for some reason this made everything more complicated. 

Society's Lack Of Human Voices...

What was more frustrating is that I could not get to a human voice. I tried various phone numbers, various strategies, and nothing seemed to work. 

When finally I did manage to reach a person, I came to realize that you never pushed anything but 0,0,0,0. I got this by Googling: 

"How do you get to an actual person when calling Verizon?

And finally after a lot of scolding from a automated voice for not punching the right buttons, there was a human. 

A real live human!

Do you ever find yourself so frustrated with the automated voice that you begin angrily punching 0 like you're trying to poke something's eye out? 

Yeah, I do that sometimes...I must admit.

And since I couldn't remember all those magic passwords to get into my account, I finally gave up and went to the store.


I came from another era. 

You actually spoke to people to get business done. 

Watch Out For Hidden Fees At Banks...

I read last night that some financial institutions are imposing fees for each transaction with a live teller. Other banks may fine you for "excessive" teller use - that is, more than twice a month.

What???

It's called: "Charging for human help"

Better look at the fine print and read your banks statements, folks.


You can hardly even conduct normal business if you don't have a smart phone, which is one reason I finally succumbed to the pressure and bought one. 

And a little bit...I admit, was to see what it felt like to be on the popular side of the room.

You know what? I never did fit over there.

It is assumed that you have a smart phone. And if you don't have one, then you're just s*** out of luck

What happened to smart people??? 

I've never liked to walk with the masses. I've never been one to conform. 

I don't like to be difficult. I just don't want to be part of the herd, being shuffled along by the powers that be.

So this will both free me up, and tie me down. 

Because it won't be easy when the pharmacy tells me they will text me when my prescriptions are ready. 

Or any of the other little mundane things that will inevitably crop up when going about everyday tasks. 


Remember Helen Reddy, Ladies? 

I came from a time when Helen Reddy made us roar. 

When women talked about feminism and studied feminist-related courses in college. 

And Helen Reddy's song. Gotta love that woman.

I am woman, hear me roar
In numbers too big to ignore
And I know too much to go back an' pretend
'Cause I've heard it all before

And I've been down there on the floor
No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong
I am invincible
I am woman

You can bend but never break me
'Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger

Not a novice any longer
'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

I am woman
I am invincible
I am strong
I am woman 


Writer/s: HELEN REDDY, RAY BURTON

***


I regret many things. Oh yes I surely do.

But I will never regret marching to the beat of a different drum. 

Even though other people were obviously uncomfortable and chose to step off of my path.


No comments:

Post a Comment