Saturday, December 31, 2016

Books On My Night Stand


I just got back from seeing Andrew. Almost 3, Andrew doesn't sit or stand still more than a few seconds. He wants to be outside and he wants to run.

I was fortunate to get him in the chair with me where we made it through my reading almost two books before he was off and running again.

I usually take my daughter something and she usually hands me a book or two. 

These were the books I brought home...

The One And Only by Emily Giffin


From Amazon:

Thirty-three-year-old Shea Rigsby has spent her entire life in Walker, Texas—a small college town that lives and dies by football, a passion she unabashedly shares. 

Raised alongside her best friend, Lucy, the daughter of Walker’s legendary head coach, Clive Carr, Shea was too devoted to her hometown team to leave. 

Instead she stayed in Walker for college, even taking a job in the university athletic department after graduation, where she has remained for more than a decade.

But when an unexpected tragedy strikes the tight-knit Walker community, Shea’s comfortable world is upended, and she begins to wonder if the life she’s chosen is really enough for her. 


As she finally gives up her safety net to set out on an unexpected path, Shea discovers unsettling truths about the people and things she has always trusted most—and is forced to confront her deepest desires, fears, and secrets

***

Because she has Amazon Prime, I had her order this book for me, on the recommendation of one of you readers. I really want to dig into this book.


Done With The Crying: Help and Healing for Mothers of Estranged Adult Children by Sheri McGregor, M.A.

From Amazon:

In Done With The Crying: Help and Healing for Mothers of Estranged Adult Children, Sheri McGregor, M.A., helps parents break free from emotional pain—and move forward in their own lives.

As a loving mother to whom the unthinkable happened, McGregor knows the horrible shock that wrings a parent dry, triggers denial, blame, anger, and shame. 

With empathy and understanding, as well as tools, the latest research, and insight from more than 9,000 parents of estranged adult children, McGregor helps parents of estranged adults plan ahead, prepare for emotional triggers, and prevail over setbacks and pain.

You can be happy again. In a calm yet authoritative voice, and with exercises derived from her work as a life coach and her own recovery, McGregor helps mothers who did their best to come to terms with their estranged adult child's choices, and regain their health and happiness. 

Books To Review From Harper Collins...

Here are the books I received for review yesterday from Harper Collins:


I couldn't find a synopsis for this book. It doesn't officially come out until next July 2017.



Shattered by grief and dreaming of vengeance, Penn Cage sees his family and his world collapsing around him. 

The woman he loves is gone, his principles have been irrevocably compromised, and his father, once a paragon of the community that Penn leads as mayor, is about to be tried for the murder of a former lover.



On a bright and crisp September morning, while walking a bucolic woodland trail, Rina Decker stumbles upon human remains once buried deep beneath the forest grounds. 

Immediately, she calls her husband, Peter, a former detective lieutenant with LAPD, now working for the local Greenbury Police. Within hours, a vista of beauty and tranquility is transformed into a frenetic crime scene.

One More Day to 2016... 

In the coming year, my plans are to purge and de-clutter, as you already know. I will be showing a photo of the first closet I must tackle. I have never let a space get SO out of control!

I want to embrace my version of cozy minimalism by working through my spaces and scaling down, while at the same time keeping a cozy feel. 

Whenever I've moved, my goal has been to create a cozy and warm home. 

Your surroundings are so important to your emotional and mental health. 

That doesn't mean you have to have the biggest home or most expensive furnishings. Quite the opposite. 

It means learning to love where you live.

There is no reason to look to the future and tell yourself: "When I have enough money to build my dream house", or "when I get a bigger house..."

Because no one knows what will happen in the future. No one even knows what will happen tonight or tomorrow. 

 The 10 Commandments Of A Tidy Home...

Love Where You Live...

So you need to come to terms with loving where you live.

No matter what is keeping you from embracing your space, let's all work on that this year. We can help and support one another as we create the home of our dreams. Right where we now reside.

Today's dreams. Not tomorrow's.

Let's go through what we own and rid ourselves of things we don't truly love. 

Don't look at it as: Maybe someday I'll use this. 

If you live in a small space as I do, don't keep something you might get around to using one day. There's not enough storage space for that for most of us.

There's only so many sets of sheets we need. So many towels. So many sets of dishes, etc. 

I've been just as guilty in the past as anyone else when I see a phenomenal sale. My excitement over getting a great deal has sometimes made me lose sight of whether I need or even really want something. 

Which leaves me with stuff I've got to either find a place for, or a new home for.

So have a wonderful New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. Relax and have fun.

And then let's get down to business!


No comments:

Post a Comment