Friday, September 1, 2017

Hello September


Goodbye August. Hello September.

A month of beginnings and endings. The beginning of fall. The end of vacations and trips to the beach.

In some parts of the country, tree leaves begin to fall. I don't know about here. Perhaps October. Maybe.

Summer here stretches out like a languid cat at the end of a nap, likely through this month and much of the next.

I do recall when September was cooler. Maybe we'll get lucky. 

Maybe.

I long for crisp leaves crunching beneath my feet. Tree branches standing stark against early evening skies.


My container gardens are looking tired and wistful. The flowers and herbs are tired and ready for their winter nap.

The last, the loveliest goodbye, of green leaves changing into shades of red and gold and orange. Rustling like corn shucks in a prairie breeze. 

Letting go and falling, falling, like a parachute that is in no hurry to fall from the sky. 

I long for cool mornings to greet me. That hot cup of coffee to warm my hands.

Lighting candles and adding a pinch of vanilla to the mix. Vanilla is my favorite scent. I like that it is pleasant but not too strong. 


I look forward to taking my camera and walking the grounds of the Tulsa Rose Garden. 

Taking advantage of shifts of light and long shadows as the day and the month wears on.

Oh, how I love fall. 


The days folding up like chairs to be stored in the basement. To every day there is a season. A time to be born and a time to die.

Turn, turn, turn...

 

We were waiting for you to arrive. To wave goodbye to summer and throw our doors open wide to greet you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment