Wednesday, September 27, 2017

An Unfortunate Wallpaper Experience


I got up yesterday morning, about as tired as when I went to bed, and headed out to run errands. I have to patch the wall where I took the supposedly removable wallpaper down and repaint, so I needed some items from Lowes.

Abi has been getting me up about five times per night for about six months or so. I think I mentioned this to you some months ago. And no, I don't think she has a urinary infection, as I've had her checked several times. 

Plus, she only does this at night. I can hardly get her to go out at all during the day. If I don't immediately get up she will get as close to my face as she can get and cry. So I get up. 

Lately she's not wanting to come back in on her own. So then I have to go out and round her up. At least she usually stands and waits for me to pick her up instead of running away.

She saw either a very large rat or a possum out there on the fence last week. My neighbor told me that a possum lives out there. Otherwise it would have been a very large rat.

If you've been reading very long you might remember that we have ducks living here too.

Someone had the ducks as pets years ago, but moved away and left them behind. They haven't flown off, so I guess they consider this home. The guy that cleans the pool hates them. Too bad we don't have a pond. 

Possums and ducks right square in the middle of the city. I have birds chirping and ducks quacking.

At any rate, I'm tired a lot.


Someone emailed that she thought I could use a mop and clean the goo off the wall that had the removable wallpaper on it. (I will NEVER use removable wallpaper again). 

But at Lowes, they were quite aware of the goo problem left behind from removable wallpaper, and they steered me to a different solution. 

They said it would need to have something like Zinsser primer applied right over the goo. Sounds a little weird to me, but that's what they said. It's Bull's Eye 123.

I had decided at some point when I was leaning against the wall in the middle of the night waiting on the dogs that I wasn't going with the tan paint option. I really wanted to. And if that long wall didn't extend all the way through my dining space, I probably would. 

But I was afraid that the tan and white together would look odd on that very long wall, even if I separated it with trim. And I'm not prepared to paint more than one room right now. 

Not only that, but I knew that I'd have to tape off the ceiling so I wouldn't get the tan paint on the white ceiling. And that means a lot of time on a step ladder. I'm trying very hard to avoid the step ladder.

Step ladders and a bad ankle and lack of sleep just don't mix well.


My right hip is giving me trouble of late. Probably from limping a lot over the last five years. Now I limp not just because of my ankle, but because of the hip pain. I just don't feel all that energetic right now.

I ended up getting plain white semi-gloss paint. Probably the one I used before, but I'm not sure. I know I bought it right off the shelf and didn't have it mixed last time I painted the dining space. But I'm not sure it is the same paint, so I might end up with more problems.

I know a lot of people are picky about picking out paint, but I'm not. White is white to me.

This supposedly removable wallpaper has already ended up costing me over a hundred bucks. Paint isn't cheap these days. Neither was the Zinsser or the extender I had to get so I won't have to be up on a step ladder. Or the stuff I had to get to patch the walls. 

Word of caution: Do not put removable wallpaper on your wall unless you're prepared to do a lot of work on the wall when you decide to remove it.  

I will have to take my time with this project. Normally I would have gotten this stuff home and started working on the wall that very day. But lately I have to do a bit at a time and rest up. 

Have I mentioned that my eczema in a very unfortunate area of my body is back again? Had it a few years ago. Heat and eczema does not mix either I can assure you. 

The wall will get done when it gets done.


No comments:

Post a Comment