Sunday, January 22, 2017

Problems With The Bathroom Project


Sorry, no bathroom photos. We hit some snags. 

First problem: When Kenny tore apart the old vanity, he discovered that they had put the vanity in first, then built the floor around it. And the floor is higher than the hall floor that leads to it. I've always wondered why that is.

So this left us with several inches of nothing before the solid surface. What we saw for the surface looked like dirt to me, but surely not.

The vanity I bought has an arched front at the bottom, so it showed. Plus the vanity didn't have anything solid to sit on.

So Kenny put 2 x 4's down, then spray-painted the ones toward the front white so at least you wouldn't see a dark space.

But then the walls were not level. So when he eased the vanity back in, there was a big space where it was supposed to meet the wall at the front. Then the space became smaller as it went toward the back. 

So he had to mud the whole wall to try to fill in the space. I don't know if this will work, so he may have to come up with another solution.

Which means the mud has to dry overnight before he can continue.

So this will be at least a 2 day project. That is the progress so far.


On Friday I got out my new leaf blower and started in on the many layers of leaves on my patio. I have a gate, so I was planning to blow it into the alley.

However, like last year, I found a lot more than just leaves on the other side. There are only two gates on this whole side, and those two gates go to my patio and that of the guy behind me. 

Where the gate is, the fence juts out, which leaves a nice little area for people to gather and drink and whatever else it is they do. Maybe they sleep there. I don't know.

So I had probably two feet of leaves to blow on the other side of the gate once I was able to finally get the gate open. And just like last year, many whiskey and vodka and beer bottles to deal with. Plus towels, food packaging, etc. What a mess.

Once I got most of that cleared out, and I was blowing my patio, I managed to knock over and break my green buddha. No surprise there. Things happen.

I am not nearly finished, but my ankle and back is telling me that it will be awhile before I can get back out there to take up where I left off.
 

I am now reading Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson.

Jackson also wrote Gods In Alabama some time ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment