Friday, January 20, 2017

Book Review: This Life I Live


Two people found one another and made sweet, sweet music together. 

Rory Feek writes: "All of my life, I've been anonymous. A nobody. Now I'm not just somebody. I'm somebody's. I am Joey's husband, Rory."

This book is about a man loving a woman, and the woman who loved him back.

I will tell you what this book is not: It is not a story about her death. Instead, it is a tribute about how she lived.
 
Rory came from a hard-scrabble childhood. But he does not dwell on that.

Twice he's been given children to raise alone.

He does not hesitate when writing about the people he wronged, the sins that follow him. He just lays it out there for all to see.

One of the phrases he uses a lot is: "They did the best they could with what they had."

And that's what Rory Feek does too. 

He writes straight from the heart. A simple man with simple words just trying to live an ordinary life in extraordinary circumstances. 

He writes: "Joey can grow onions and tomatoes, potatoes and zucchini, and squash and peppers and corn 'til they're coming out your ears. That, and love. That's what she really grows best." 
 
Rory has lost his true love, but he still gets up every single day with a clean slate and tries to be a better man. A better father.

This book is written with humility and grace. Without fanfare. 
It will speak to you in ways you won't expect it to. 

I had never even heard of this couple before I was asked to review this book. Now I doubt I'll ever forget them.
 
***

Joey + Rory singing: "If I Needed You." Click link to listen.

Joey singing: "When I'm Gone."


You can also read the blog This Life I Live here.


No comments:

Post a Comment