Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Frugal Living Tips

 
Do you ever get the hankering for ham, but don't really want to cook one? 

I live alone and the idea of cooking a ham doesn't really appeal to me. So I've started going to my grocery store deli and asking for three 1/4 inch slices of my favorite Virginia smoked ham. For less than $5 I have meat for three meals.

I fix some side dishes and eat one slice each evening for three nights. It's mighty tasty. I don't mine eating the same meat three days in a row.

Sometimes I get the midday meal my grocery store serves at their little restaurant in the store at noon; meat and two sides. Then I take it home and split it into two meals. Just heat it up in the microwave or oven.

When I cook, I always freeze meals for later. Make a big meal in the crock pot and you'll have plenty of food to freeze individual meals for one or two.


When I order Chinese food at my favorite Chinese restaurant, Chopsticks, I go in before 4 p.m., when the lunch menu ends. I order two lunchtime meals and take it home. So I get the lunchtime price and have meals for two evenings and just heat it up.

Another thing I like to get is the turkey sandwich at Arbys. I take it home, eat one half and put the other half in the fridge for later. Personally I like it better heated up to my specifications anyway. Plus I often get coupons in the mail.

I don't shop in the Walmart store. But I do shop Walmart.com quite a bit. Buy $35 worth and you get free two day shipping on most items. 

I paid for Amazon.com Prime this year, which is about $100. Not so sure I will next year. This was my first year to do that. But I'll have to look at all my options and see if it's worth the cost. 
 
I do order a lot of things online, but I hate to pay shipping costs. So I tend not to order anything until I have enough in my Cart to get free shipping. Sure helps and I don't have to use my car and pay for gas.

I buy all prescription dog food for the pupsters online at Chewy.com. Free shipping and most of the time I get it in less than 48 hours. Last time I got it the very next day! Don't even know how they do that. 


Another way to save money is to bundle at least three errands into one outing. I try to always do that if I possibly can. I plan on where to go based on the shortest routes to save on gas.

My car is 11 years old and I doubt I'll ever buy another one. So I'm trying my best to get all I can out of it. 

I have close to 44,500 miles on my vehicle right now. The only things I've had done are oil changes, which I know are very important. And I've purchased four tires.


Even though I live in an apartment, as you know I am fortunate to have a large patio. I plant a lot of herbs every year. I always have at least one tomato plant. 

You can garden in containers and still get a lot of good eating from a small patio or balcony garden. 

I have really enjoyed the chives this year. Don't know that I can get through the winter without my fresh chives, so I might plant a small pot and put it in my kitchen window. Along with a few other favorite herbs.

Herbs are pretty hardy plants. Just give them sun and don't over water!

As you all know I had them take my stove when I moved in so I could have a washer and hook the hose up to my sink when I do laundry. I've found that it doesn't heat up the place cooking in smaller appliances. I don't miss a big stove at all. So that was a win-win for me!

Please add your own personal frugal tips in the comments. We'd all love to read them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment