Sunday, January 29, 2017

Hurry Up And Wait Bathroom Project


Yesterday morning my daughter and Andrew came to see me. 

He didn't seem interested in the paper and colored pencils I had for him at the kitchen table. So I took the top off of my red ottoman for him to put stuff in, hoping it might keep him occupied. 

But he got in and curled up in it himself. That lasted maybe half a minute.
 
I sure don't remember my girls being so rambunctious. Maybe it's just different with boys.

He will be three years old in March. They're still working on the potty training. I'm sure that's all different with boys too, though I wouldn't know. Seems forever that I had to think about things like that.

Andrew is afraid of Abi and Charlie. But not nearly as much as they are afraid of him. They sat close to me the whole time. And would shiver when he came close.


They left and later Kenny came over. He worked a good part of the day. 

He finally got the vanity in, after cutting away most of my big drawer to fit the plumbing into it.

He got the light up, and the sink and faucet in. He said he couldn't put in the sink stopper that you pull in the sink because he didn't have the tool to cut it down. And it was all the way against the wall. 

So that still needs to be done.

As soon as he left, I turned on the water and there wasn't any. So I looked around underneath and saw a lever to turn and turned it on.

So then I had cold water, but I didn't have hot water and there wasn't another lever.

Then later I figured out that there was water pooled up in the vanity. Now you realize this is that pressed wood material, because I can't afford real wood for this project. So the last thing I need is water leaking on it.

So I got paper towels and soaked up the water, and turned it off down below again. However, it still seems to be leaking. I've got a bowl underneath it to catch the water.

I don't have his phone number. But I will have to call the guy who is on call through the answering service and see if I can get this looked at. 

He told me a new guy was working this weekend, and that he didn't think he had enough experience to be on call. Great.


He couldn't come up with a way to level it against the wall after putting mud on it twice last weekend. So I went to Lowes for wood. 

Darned if their wood isn't all the way to the back of the store and my ankle was giving me fits.

The wood pieces come out a few inches from the vanity to fill up the space that was so unlevel. The tile below was missing a piece and we had to fill that up as well.

When the caulking is dried and I get the leak figured out, I'll have to paint the wood pieces that fill up the space between the vanity and the wall.  

I just couldn't come up with a better solution and apparently he couldn't either. 

So that was my day. This kind of tedious stuff wears me down more than if I'd physically worked outside. Because it is just frustrating to hurry up and wait.

Woke up at 5 a.m. this morning and was more tired than when I went to sleep. It sure never occurred to me that this would turn into such a pain in the butt.

I thought after I paid him and he left that my frustration with this bathroom was over. But I was wrong.

I won't be coming up with any projects that I can't do myself for some time, I can assure you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment